Friday, May 19, 2017

Six-Month Blogoversary (Reflections and Stats)



Hey y'all,

Has it really been six months since I started this blog???

Wow.

I must admit, I never imagined that the time would go this quickly.

First things first, I need to thank my soul sister for helping me push this blog off the ground. Without her encouragement, I'm fairly sure that my ideas would have never reached beyond my computer.
 *sends virtual hugs and lots of virtual chocolate cause I miss her so much*

To kick off my celebration, I've added some reflections from my blogging experience thus far and I'll end with my blog stats. 

*******

Some Good Things I've Noticed:


I have a much better idea what blogging really means and how much fun it is. 

While blogs can teach, that's not the main focus. It really is more of an online journal.

The first time I got excited to blog about something was actually my second post - the one about the failed custard. That incident literally happened a day or two before I wrote it, and I thought it was really funny and wanted to share it.

My cooking scrapes are my favorite thing to blog about. But experimenting in the kitchen is not the only thing that I do. I do a lot of sewing and needlecraft. I hope to put up some posts about some of those projects soon.

Blogging has opened up a whole new set of friends and given me new insights into people. 

Blogging behind a screen has really made me embrace my inner introvert, but has opened up my social world. Weird, right?

I never was a social butterfly, only have a few very close friends in all the stages of my life. I now follow 70+ blogs and comment on a lot of them regularly. I don't feel weirded out at all.

I've also gotten to know some people from around the world and got to see some of the subtle differences between the US and the rest of the world. I find that so cool. 


Some Bad Things That I've Noticed 

I seriously need to lighten up. 

I'm sure that my friends will agree that whenever I give my opinion on something, I don't couch it very well. I tend to be rather point-blank, especially if you're close to me. I've rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, including professors and friends, with my rather antagonistic viewpoints. Sometimes I felt like there is an invisible hand that is keeping my opinions from entering the wider world and writing about it often made me feel better.

I'm fairly sure that that sentiment has leaked into my blog. I've noticed that a lot of my posts are...preachy. A lot of these "informational" posts seem to be analytical pieces that I'm interested in writing. A fun school assignment if you will.

I think that's the main reason why I started The Rebelling Muse. In addition to the serious stuff that I was writing in school, I was also doing serious work in my free time.

Granted, I like to expound on some topic, such as modesty, and give my personal spin on it. I don't mind spreading information around and clearing up misunderstandings. But "all work and no play makes Jill a very dull girl".


I need more of my own visuals

For my pictures on both blogs, I've used some of my own pictures but have relied heavily on public domain pictures from Pixabay.com as well as embedded pins. This is because I was taught in high school to have a strict adherence to copyright laws for images and other media. While Pixabay and Pinterest have really helped me out to find images suitable for my posts, I really miss going out and taking pictures. My old digital camera died a couple of years ago, and I really need to invest in a new camera before I can do that though. Sure, my smartphone works in a pinch but outfit selfies with a smartphone are not easy, let me tell you!

And I have noticed that I don't have a lot of visual appeal to my posts. I need to change that too, cause that's what I like about other people's posts. Finding visuals is one of the things that takes the longest to do when blogging, and jumping around 3 different devices really doesn't help either.

Looking Forward

So, in the future, I'm going to create more and let my DIY spirit run free for a little while....as long as my job and grad school doesn't get in the way. 

The digital camera will have to wait until either I scrape some cash together, but I'll see what the smartphone can do 😄 I've been thinking about doing some quote art when I have the time, just to pretty up the blog a little more.

Some future posts include a tutorial for sewing a medieval gown, more ag posts, and some Latin prayers.

**********
Ready for some stats?

Posts: 25

Comments: 12

Pageviews: 1200+

Followers: 6 Blogger, 1 Yahoo (Apparently Yahoo has an option where you can anonymously follow a blog via the URL or some crazy thing like that. I can't track it as far as I know, only reason I know is because the follower told me)

Major milestones: Hitting 1000 views on May 3.

Most views from a different country: Tie between Austria and Russia, both 45 views each!

***********

I want to thank each and everyone of you for supporting this blog by offering you....a large virtual brownie cake topped with virtual peanut butter frosting and strawberries!!!!!! I have some drinks stashed away for later (wink wink).

Old-fashionably yours,

Farm Lassie


No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you, dear friend? Come closer to the fire, and make yourself comfortable! I'd love to hear what you've been thinking about! I only ask that proper decorum be observed.

I always try to reply to my correspondence! Have a blessed day!
~ Catherine Hawthorn